[Sigia-l] Diagraming Tools for IA [was: visio feature improvements]

Todd R.Warfel lists at mk27.com
Tue Apr 15 12:21:05 EDT 2003

David,

Thanks for this very insightful and brief history of Visio.

In your opinion, do you think Visio would bode well to have better
support for EPS and/or XML import/export? This could open up the
choices the field of IA has for tools. Or would you see this as not
being that important.

And no, it's not a trap, I'm just curious to see where you see this
field heading and if these tools would influence it any.

An attempt to bring this back on track...

On Tuesday, April 15, 2003, at 11:58  AM, David Heller wrote:

> Visio is a schematic drawing tool. Back in the day of 4.0/3.0 it had
> solution templates for engineering, architecture, etc., but didn't
> have a single thing about the Internet, nor GUI development.
> Engineering companies that joined the web world already had the
> license for it and it was very compatible w/ office (i.e. I could take
> a visio drawing, and embed it as a linked object into word to be
> included as part of my entire definition doc).
>
> The addition of web and gui components began in 5.0 and then MS bought
> it after that.
>
> It has never had any relationship to Illustrator or other EPS tools
> except that it used vector based drawing, but nearly with the same
> level of stroke or color control that the latter tools have.
>
> -- dave

Cheers!

Todd R. Warfel

_//message first [method second]
-=========================-
User Experience Architect
Cornell University Lab of Ornithology
[P] (607) 254-2477
[F] (607) 254-2415
[E] todd.warfel at cornell.edu

In theory, theory and practice are the same,
but in practice, they're not.

The only thing necessary for evil to exist in the world is for good men
to do nothing.