[Sigia-l] new Yahoo! search

Boniface Lau boniface_lau at compuserve.com
Wed Apr 9 20:06:17 EDT 2003

> From: sigia-l-admin at asis.org [mailto:sigia-l-admin at asis.org]On
> Behalf Of Simon Wistow
>
> On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 07:58:49PM -0400, Boniface Lau said:
> > Google clearly indicates the sponsor links with a distinct
> > background color and place them on the side. Yahoo! does not.
>
> I'm curious. Does having them in a different section to normal
> search results with the title "SPONSOR RESULTS (What's this?)" in
> red not actually count?

It counts. Just that it is not as good as Google.

ISTM, Google acknowledges the fact that people go to Google not for
clicking on ads. Thus, Google places the ads to the side. In contrast,
Yahoo!'s sandwiching of the search result with sponsor results is
in-your-face and therefore off-putting.

But Google hasn't forgot the fact that it wants people to click on the
ads. So it highlights them with a distinct background.

IMO, Google's ad treatment is a respectful way of balancing its own
interest with user interest.

> http://new.search.yahoo.com/search?p=san+francisco
>

> I admit that I may be biased because I work on the search team at
> Yahoo!  but still ...
>
> ... anyway, I'm in agreement with Christina - it's very frustrating
> watching people saying bizarrely stupid things (I'm not implying you
> Boniface) on various forums and not being able to respond.

I understand where you are coming from. It is also worth noting that
being frustrated is the mind's response to reality. To not be
frustrated, discipline the mind.

Boniface