Thanks B&A! (RE: [Sigia-l] new Yahoo! search)

tom smith tom at othermedia.com
Wed Apr 9 19:31:01 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, April 9, 2003, at 08:40 PM, Matthew Rehkopf wrote:
> Now back to our usual crossfire.

Oh good. Here goes then...I don't think that the debate on Yahoo's new
search had proper resolution, it sort of degenerated in these ways...

1. Attacking a site someone has made just because they expressed an
opinion in this forum  sucks. Most of the sites I have been involved
with suck, I know they suck, given the budget they had to suck. But
over time and as funds become available I have many plans to make them
suck less. This for me, and many others like me, is what life is. And
anyway, even the Don has a crap site, the Jakob's is worse.

2. Defending a site like Boxes n Arrows because people give their time
freely is a bit lame. But then attacking it is lamer, I really could
offer my considerable talents to B&A site if its design annoyed me that
much.

3. If you promote or ask for comments on your work, this community will
give them freely. They won't all be constructive. Lots of us want to
show off. I'm writing this email whilst doing a handstand.

4. I believe Yahoo's decision to place paid for links amongst search
results blows both their credibility and usability out of the water.
But then I'm not an average web user. Average users, according to
Yahoo,  are people eager to pay $2.95 a pop for articles on the web.

5. Don't you just hate people who enumerate their arguments?
	5.1 I hate when they hold their fingers up and count at you as if you
were stupid
	5.2 I hate it because its a trick to stop you interrupting boring
arguments.
	5.3 Dear God, is he ever going to shut up?

> In parting I'd remind you all that you are not average web users.

Why, thank you

tom
--
tom smith