[Sigia-l] GoogleNews

Louis Rosenfeld lou at louisrosenfeld.com
Fri Sep 27 10:05:17 EDT 2002

On 9/24/02 10:24 AM, "Victor Lombardi" <victorlombardi at yahoo.com> wrote:

> RE>"This page was generated entirely by computer algorithms without human
> editors..."
>
> But, who created the algorithms?
>
> I think IAs will increasing need to create algorithms, i.e. we'll design
> systems rather than design instances. We'll need to think about the reasons
> why we made a design decision and put that reasoning into algorithmic
> format for the computers to replicate.

I don't know that IAs need to be the people who *create* algorithms, and I'm
not sure how many of us have the technical expertise to do so anyway.  But
we should understand algorithms well enough to help *select* the most
appropriate algorithm(s) for a given situation.

Louis Rosenfeld
www.louisrosenfeld.com
information architecture consulting