[Sigia-l] regional sites vs. language versions

cmccord at cochlear.com cmccord at cochlear.com
Tue Sep 24 14:32:41 EDT 2002

This is my first time posting to this list .... so - here it goes.

This past spring our company underwent a huge branding revision - with
which we lauched a new website. It is a "global" website, suitable for
potential customers worldwide (provided they understand English).  This
"global" website is only "global" because we have no other websites online
yet.  Eventhough it is considered global - it is very US-focused because it
features all kinds of US-specific content (e-commerce, insurance
information, etc).  Information that is not appropriate for other regions.
The US wants its own website - so in the next few months I will be giving
this one to them.  I will then create a real global English site , which
will essentially be a duplication same site - with all the US-specific
info. carved off. A "lowest common denomonator" approach if you will.  I am
also launching various language versions of this pared-back site.  Simple
lowest common denomonator sites available in a variety of languages.  There
will be room for local content - but won't get into this now.  There are no
teams to manage the day to day ops. of these sites. So the simpler, the
better.

My question:  When it comes to the new global homepage - users will be
given a choice to choose their site based on what language they want.
However, there will be:  English, German, Japanese, Korean, French,
Italian, Spanish - and ... The Americas Regional Website.  I am confused if
users will understand the difference between Americas Regional Site and the
Global English site.  I am wondering if anyone has any experience with
mixing general websites with location-based websites that feature
localized, region-specific information.  My boss  (global marketing
director, little web experience)seems to think that worldwide English
speakers will be "just fine" with the US-site.... I am not so sure, as lots
of the content is inappropriate.  Don't want to offer content only to turn
around and say "thanks for reading, but this doesn't apply to you." Am I
out of my mind? Would love to hear any thoughts either way.

Thanks,
Colleen McCord
Executive Producer
www.cochlear.com
cmccord at cochlear.com

"The information contained in this e-mail message may be confidential information, and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, interference with, disclosure or copying of this material is unauthorised and prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us by return email and delete the original message."