[Sigia-l] Distributed thesaurus?

Lars Marius Garshol larsga at garshol.priv.no
Sun Sep 22 16:19:56 EDT 2002

* Lars Marius Garshol

* peter at poorbuthappy.com

| But every topic already has the URI http://domain.com/map.xml#topicid
| Wouldn't that suffice? Topicmaps could use that as psi.

Then you could refer from a topic map into XFML, but XFML maps still
couldn't point out of their own universe. It means that you wouldn't
be able to use published subjects, for example, since you can't point
to a subject indicator.

That's what's needed, really. Perhaps a modification to <mergerule>,
so that you can point to a subject indicator in addition to just
topics in other XFML maps?

| Yes, good point, you can only link topics to other topics in XFML
| maps.  As for the relationship between topicmaps and XFML: I feel
| that XFML should be completely simple, even to code for.

Sure, but adding another property to topics which does nothing
wouldn't really change that, would it?

| If someone wants to code a simple XFML export or import module, that
| should be easy. That's why I defined a new format, if not I might as
| well have staid with XTM, but the problem is that it's complex and
| hard to code for and understand...

Yeah, I understand that. Worse-is-better, and all that.

* Lars Marius Garshol

* peter at poorbuthappy.com

| Indeed, but someone has to define a way that everyone then can
| follow.

Uh, yes. :-)