[Sigia-l] Searchable File Names

Listera listera at rcn.com
Sun Sep 22 14:56:22 EDT 2002

"Andrew McNaughton" wrote:

> In most cases I'd have concerns about a system which expects filenames to
> stand alone independently of the folder.  This would break relative file
> references...

If you have a large system or not enough hair left to pull out, then you
might consider a small database app that can automate file naming and
searching. This could be made as sophisticated as resources allow. It could
be rule-based, relational; it could automate wholesale moving, renaming,
pruning, archiving, etc., of files and folders, during and between projects;
it could be used and searched just locally or over the web; you could change
naming conventions, if you have to, during a project and be confident that
all related files will be properly dealt with; and of course, it can hold
infinitely more metadata than can ever be squeezed into a file name, giving
you a more comprehensive, faster, easier and more consistent search
interface to get at the files.

Best,