[Sigia-l] Dublin Core and meta-tag length

Avi Rappoport analyst at searchtools.com
Mon Sep 16 11:37:07 EDT 2002

At 2:02 PM +0200 9/16/02, Jan Egil Hagen wrote:
>* Whitney Quesenbery
>| 1. How prevalent is the Dublin Core in use?  The client is already
>| using DC for their intranet, but is looking for figures on how
>| widespread it is for external corporate sites.
>
>* Lars Marius Garshol <larsga at garshol.priv.no>
>| I think the client is asking the wrong question. What's the
>| alternative to Dublin Core supposed to be? If they are being
>| skeptical, what's their alternative?
>
>Well, the obvious alternative is: Nothing. In fact, most successful
>websites rely on the "nothing metadata system" for all their
>documents. :)

Worse than nothing: the file names are opaque, the web server sends
wrong dates, the HTML does not contain proper title and heading tags,
MS documents have duplicate properties filled in and so on.  The size
is usually correct though.

Avi
--
Search Server Industry Analysis from Search Tools Consulting
    (510) 845-2551  -- <mailto: analyst at searchtools.com>