[Sigia-l] Table of Contents in Visio

Jim Ospenson JOspenson at burntsand.com
Thu Sep 5 12:26:39 EDT 2002

> I'd like to generate a list of page names without having to hand type
them again.

I've often wished for this, since this is how I work too.

In the past, I've done an HTML export of the whole file and then hacked
apart the HTML of one of the generated files (a frameset is output, and one
of the frames provides a dropdown box containing each of the page names in
order).

After considerable text editing in Homesite or some such, I'd pasted the raw
text (list of page names in order) into Excel and used that to create a
table of contents.  After all this, I'd generate 2 PDFs -- one of the excel
TOC and another of the Visio file, and combine them for client/team
distribution.

It's so much work I'd only do it for "final" materials, I never could find a
way to allow for a dynamic table of contents.

Shouldn't be so hard to put into a future release of Visio,  all the data is
there already(visible in Property Report).

/jim

Jim Ospenson
Burntsand, Inc., Senior Experience Architect
311 Arsenal Street
Watertown, MA 02472
tel: (617) 673-2392
fax: (617) 673-3792