SV: [Sigia-l] logo as link to home

Richard Wiggins rich at richardwiggins.com
Thu Sep 5 07:10:14 EDT 2002

Has anyone done any testing to verify the proposition that most users
understand that the corporate logo is a link back to the home page?  Any
citations to articles on this topic?

I'm part of a committee that's looking at best practices in university Web
design.  We sit in a room together and do group surfing.  Different folks
"drive" at different times.  You'd be amazed how often one of the drivers
has to be coached on a navigational aid that was assumed to be "obvious" by
the designer.  I know I've told many people that the logo is a link home
many times.

Think back to 1993 when inline images that were hyperlinks were obvious
because they all had borders around them.  Then the design community took
over and removed hyperlink borders and underscores.  Today when I'm at, say,
a newspaper site, I find myself rolling over each element (section name,
headline, photos, callout heads, etc.) to find out if it's a hyperlink or
not.  And that doesn't always work (e.g. some links implemented in
JavaScript).

I'd want to see a usability study (real user observation, not just analysis)
before concluding that most users now instinctively click on the logo to go
home.

/rich

href="http://mail.richardwiggins.com//jump/http://www.asis.org/Conferences/AM02/index.html">http://www.asis.org/Conferences/AM02/index.html</a>

href="http://mail.richardwiggins.com//jump/http://www.asis.org/SIG/SIGIA/index.html">http://www.asis.org/SIG/SIGIA/index.html</a>