[Sigia-l] What do you think of this new job position? ( Designer/Usability Engineer)

Jay Kumar melvink2 at myrealbox.com
Mon Oct 14 08:54:54 EDT 2002

I was browsing the web when I came across this job position. It was kind of
unique, so I thought I would like to gather some comments from the list
members. This position was advertised in Singapore.

The details are as follows:

Position Available:
Designer/Usability Engineer

Job Function: Quality Assurance Testing & Designing
Job Position: Designer/Usability Engineer
Position Type: Full Time
Opportunity posted in : Oct 2002

  Job Description

We are looking for a designer/usability engineer who has experience in web
design and flash animation as well as in interface, information and
interaction design.

  Responsibilities

Usability Engineer
 Conduct user-centric design activities for software applications with focus
on Web, Voice and Mobile device interfaces.
 Producing compelling design media for interactive software applications,
including graphic elements and overall look and feel.
 Design of user experience, including information architecture, interaction
design, and interface design, of online content areas and functionality
specifications for tools and features.
 Creating prototypes for new application user interfaces, feature
enhancements.
 Creating prototypes for demos and usability testing.
 Conceptualize and design new usability paradigms and metaphors for
application functionality
 Analyze and develop user tasks; Plan and conduct effective user research
and ongoing usability testing and assessments

Designer
 Web Design
 Web Coding (browser issues, HTML, some JavaScript etc)
 Experience with Macromedia Flash, Macromedia Freehand, Adobe Photoshop and
Adobe Illustrator (experience with Flash Scripting preferred)
 Flash Animation

  Requirements

 BA/BS in Cognitive Psychology, or Usability Science of Human Factors
Engineering preferred.
 Strong knowledge of graphic design theory and ability to transfer this to
the end-user environment on the web.
 Strong creative skills and ability to generate graphic images from abstract
concepts.
 High degree of competency in usability, interaction design, and information
architecture.
 Understanding of web development processes and tools
 Excellent communication skills and the ability to work in a team
environment
 HTML, DHTML, CSS, JavaScript.
 Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Flash
 2 years of experience designing and/or programming web applications on a
high-traffic web site.

Jay