[Sigia-l] Youth research

Christy Mylks christy at cognetics.com
Thu Oct 10 13:07:53 EDT 2002

Stacy:
Didn't see this posting until today....
You might turn to the CHI community for research on children. Prof. Allison
Druin, at the Human Computer Interaction Lab at the University of Maryland,
is definitely the best known in the field for studying children and technology.

Her research site is here:
http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/kiddesign/

Recent article in Wash. Post:
http://discuss.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/zforum/02/washtech_hcil0509.htm

Her work would be a good place to start.
-Christy Mylks

At 11:36 AM 9/27/2002, Surla, Stacy wrote:
>Linda,
>
>Linda, I would also be very interested in any research or commentary you
>have on site usability for kids.  And links to exemplary sites.
>
>I'm in the early stages of developing a government policy site for a
>middle-school to high-school audience.  Our interesting task is to pose the
>question, what would it be like to work for the feds in the policy arena?
>Content will include material that can be used for debates and reports, and
>also local-level stuff (like "vending machines in schools - introducing and
>influencing policy in your community" or whatever).
>
>...  However, my understanding so far is based on my own notions, not
>on any feedback from kids or research I've seen.  I'd love to get input!

Christy Mylks, Usability Analysis and Design
Cognetics Corporation
<http://www.cognetics.com>http://www.cognetics.com
christy at cognetics.com
301-587-7549