[Sigia-l] Defusing Techies?

Scott Berkun scottber at microsoft.com
Tue Oct 8 19:08:31 EDT 2002

I'd recommend two books:

1) The psychology of computer programming: It's an ancient book, but
it's the only book I know of focused on understanding how developers
think, the kinds of personalities drawn to development work, and how to
manage them effectively. It's not an academic book, but it's not as fun
as some of Weinberg's other books on consulting. For your audience, some
chapters are definitely worth skipping, But some might be exactly what
you need. Amazon lets you look at the TOC before you buy...
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0932633420/qid=1034118108/
sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_2/103-1638527-5928601?v=glance&n=507846

2) Getting to Yes: I think if you're a good communicator and negotiator,
the specifics of working with developers aren't that much harder than
working with lawyers, marketers, testers, whatever. This is the first
book I recommend to people who want more influence, or want better
models for how to deal with conflict situations in collaborative
environments.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/103-1638527-5928601

-Scott

Scott Berkun