[Sigia-l] Selecting multiple options from a list

Katie Ware kcoleware at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 1 12:23:21 EDT 2002

(okay - just lost the entire text of this email because I accidently clicked
on the MSN logo on the hotmail compose page to get back to this screen and
it went to MSN. Didn't save my text. Grrrr. Let's see if I can recreate.)

Okay then, I'm working on a project that has a taxonomy that goes to
potentially 4 levels. It's been decided that the user can only choose one
topic at the top level, but we would like the user to be able to select
multiple subcategories (which can get long, up to 5o or so entries). That's
where it gets ugly. The other option is to just allow selection of a topic
and only single choices throughout. The user would have the option to get
results at any level after the second level, bypassing the taxonomy. The end
result is likely to be printed and reviewed, not read online.

I've looked at the archives, and some similar issues have been raised about
taxonomy searching and long lists. Also checked out Flamingo.com (which had
info, but the samples didn't work) and some taxonomy articles.

Can this be done elegantly? Is it impossible? Here are the options so far
(users can also opt out after the second level and get all results):

1.  Yahoo-like initial screen, second screen has list of subcategories  with
check boxes. Third and subsequent screens have checkbox lists for all chosen
subcategories. Pro is all options are visible, con is that it could get ugly
quickly if lists are long or many subcategories are chosen.

2.  Single option list box on initial screen, second and subsequent screens
use an "accumulator box" (list of potential subcats on left, select and
click arrow to move to selection box on right). Pro is that functionality is
similar across screens and it can be somewhat contained on the screen. Cons
are that user has to scroll to see options and some novice users may have
trouble with the accumulator.

3.  Single option list box on initial screen, list box with check boxes for
each entry. (Someone suggested this, I have not seen it in action. Anyone
else?) Again, a little more contained, but not all options visible.

Any thoughts? Any example sites? Most I've looked at follow a single thread
(and maybe there is a good reason for that). Back in my unemployed days last
year there were a number of job search sites that dealt with this - not very
well, actually. But, they seem to have disappeared (out of business, bought
out or maybe redesigned).

thanks!

Katie