SV: [Sigia-l] Re: large font use

Listera listera at rcn.com
Wed Nov 27 03:47:48 EST 2002

"Gunnar Langemark" wrote:

> What I guess I'm trying to say here is: Don't depend too much on science and
> consulting. Experience and intuition can be a better guide.

I don't want to leave the impression that I'm anti-science. Science is OK
:-) pseudo-science is not, I think you'd agree.

People are quick to dismiss years of professional training, experience,
intuition and wisdom, but blindly accept 'research' and 'study' by a bunch
of academics and influence peddlers with a passing acquaintance of a subject
matter.

The reason I dumped so much on the children's font 'study' is that (if it
also had a blatant commercial bias) it would have been a perfect example of
bad science. When the title of a 'study' isn't remotely related to its
conclusion, you gotta wonder :-)

When they go unchallenged, these little, pitiful 'studies' become
carcinogenic urban legends. If one's an experienced professional, one may
laugh at them and ignore them, but sooner or later some hapless guy is bound
to throw them at your face in a meeting, demanding compliance.

Just a couple of years ago, it was utterly and absolutely routine for a VC
to say, "Let's get 'research' to support our business proposition." And you
went out and literally bought that 'research' from your friendly
neighborhood 'research group'. It didn't get much more complicated than
that.

The pathetic part of this is that if you were in a position to need design
advice on what fonts to use in a children's book, would you rely on a good
designer or three doctoral students, probably with about zero degree of
experience with type, online design or children, for all we know?

Anyhow, it's probably time for my eggnog soon, so Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Best,