[Sigia-l] Re: large font use

Boniface Lau boniface_lau at compuserve.com
Tue Nov 26 19:11:48 EST 2002

> From: InfoArchitect at bigpond.com [mailto:InfoArchitect at bigpond.com]On
> Behalf Of InfoArchitect

[...]
> I said that the assumptions are naive because they are just that,
> assumptions (def: 1. the act of supposing or taking for granted),

Assumptions are naive just because they are assumptions? Care to
explain that logic?

> and often 'reactions' (as I have observed on this list) with a basis
> of emotional attachment

Not sure of what you were referring to. Care to cite an incident of
"reactions with a basis of emotional attachment"?

> - not verifiable data.
>
> It seems that a couple of you may have taken this as a personal
> attack.

Care to cite some facts to back up your above statement?

> This was not the intention.  I was just asking that people back up
> their statements with fact

I would like to see you walk your talk by providing facts to back up
your own statements.

> instead of reacting to what others say in an "I'm right, you're
> wrong coz I say!" manner.

Again, not sure what you were referring to. Care to cite some facts?

> Logical discussions leading to better designs should prevail over
> pride.

Indeed. So, please show us the logic behind your assertion that
assumptions are naive just because they are assumptions.

[...]
> > But that doesn't mean assumptions not backed by research studies
> > are invalid.
>
> No, it doesn't but how would one then validate these assumptions?

What is your point?

Here people exchange opinions and assumptions. Are you suggesting that
in order to be expressed here those assumptions have to be validated?

[...]
> Even though I have no commercial interest in what size font or
> style of typeface that children find easier to read online at this
> time, I thought that I may offer a starting point for a clear
> discussion.

The discussion here was about a "giant" font.

The starting point that you offered was a report on a "larger" font,
not "giant" font.

Are you saying that what was said about a "larger" font also applies
to a "giant" font?

If not, how did you "offer a starting point for a clear discussion"?

Boniface