[Sigia-l] Re: large font use

InfoArchitect InfoArchitect at ourbrisbane.com
Sun Nov 24 23:31:47 EST 2002

Greetings from Down Under (where nobody had to identify on the NG
test),

Boniface proposed that:
> Naturally, when a page with only a couple sentences or a very short
> paragraph, the font is typically set a bit larger to balance the look
> of that page. This happens not just in kids books, but also in some
> adult poetry books set with generous spacing.

> Most likely the designer had a very different setting on the monitor
> used to set the help page. Thus, the page looked ok on that monitor
> but looks awful on other monitors.

I've been following this thread/argument with fascination.  It seems
that the 'average user' (a purely mythical creature that lives in the
hopes of designers and managers alike) has popped up a number of
times, as have a large body of emotional/opinion based theories and
some assumptions that can best be described as naive.

In my first post to this list, I'd like to suggest that if assumptions
(or even loose 'heuristics') are to be applied, they at least be
backed by semantic data such as Bernard, Mills, Frank & McKown's
(2001) study, "Which Fonts Do Children Prefer to Read Online?".  In
testing twenty-seven 9-11 year olds (10 males, 17 females) with 20/20
vision, they concluded that:
"Generally the larger, 14-point font size was considered to be easier
and quicker to read, as well as being more attractive and more
desired..."
(ref: http://wsupsy.psy.twsu.edu/surl/usabilitynews/3W/fontJR.htm )

Further, heuristics and assumptions are still purely theoretical
unless tested against the localised, target audience.  All of us may
have a view on the subjective opinions of children and the resultant
metrics of font 'readability', but only testing the intended audience
can verify or invalidate our arguments.

Then again, that's just my opinion... ;-)

Cheers,

Ash Donaldson
User Experience Designer