[Sigia-l] A search & filter question

Listera listera at rcn.com
Thu Nov 14 14:44:54 EST 2002

"Avi Rappoport" wrote:

> Zyia recommended forcing people to choose using a dialog or script, I
> think this is a mistake.  Every time I've seen it tried, users
> *hated* it.

Umm, that would be putting words in my mouth. I didn't "recommend" forcing
them to do anything. I said if you want to force users to make a selection
for filtering before you return results, then there's simple, technical
means of doing so, by taking the users to an intermediary 'modal' screen or
dialog, if they fail to specify. I made no claims about the desirability of
this scheme. I just pointed out that it's doable. I can, however, foresee
perfectly good uses of this technique especially in highly segmented
intranet situations where departmental data access policies are restrictive.

Best,