[Sigia-l] Rate this Page?

Eric Reiss elr at e-reiss.com
Thu Nov 14 03:27:34 EST 2002

Laura wrote:
OK, this is probably painfully obvious, but I've always thought that
the problem with this system is that if the article does not contain
the content that the user expects, they may rate it poorly.

Laura, this is exactly what can happen. Working off the same notion,
I decided to conduct a controlled experiment a few years ago.

I published the same page in two different locations on a site
(individual URLs). The first location was appropriate, the second one
wasn't. Big surprise: the same content in the less appropriate spot
got poorer ratings. BTW, I also found that tweeking labels could also
improve ratings.

Quite apart from poor context, the page rating system, as has already
been pointed out, suffers if a user:

is grouchy (poor UI, marital problems etc.)
has trouble reading/understanding the material

Just my 2 cents.

Best regards,
Eric

e-reiss.com