[Sigia-l] The Menace

George Olsen george.olsen at pobox.com
Thu Nov 14 00:11:10 EST 2002

Like Challis, I'm not an IA -- so I don't have any particular stake
in AIfIA -- but I've been through the creating a volunteer
organization several times now and here's my thoughts.

First off, it's far easier to tear down than to go out and build
something. Lots of people kvetch about things, few people get off
their butts and do something about it.

Those who do something about it, generally do so because they're
passionate about things. Co-founding the Web Standards Project meant
working 20-30 hour a week on top of a more than 40-hour week job for
over a year. And believe me, there are a lot more fun things you can
do in life than lead a volunteer group.

So if you see many of the same faces appearing prominently in this
community, it's because they're the folks who are both passionate
_and_ willing to get involved.

Similarly, when you're starting a new group you tend to reach to
those people who've already shown passion and dedication. You also
tend to reach out to those people you know because starting an
organization is a tremendous amount of work and so you go for known
quantities -- just you would in choosing partners for a new business.

Is that unfair to someone new on the block or who's haven't spoken up
much? Probably. But in my experience once a group goes public, people
who've been overlooked but who are passionate and dedicated will get
involved and raise to leadership as the founding members inevitably
burn out.

As far as personal benefit, of course you get visibility leading an
organization, but in terms of bringing in new business there's a lot
of things that have a better ROI -- for example, an extra 20-30 hours
a week doing cold calls. I know my involvement with WSP probably hurt
my career as much as helping it because of missed opportunities I
didn't have time to pursue.

If you're not happy with [insert organization here] that's your
right. (I'm personally still not totally clear on where AIfIA is
going.) But rather than just bitching about it:

* Work to change it. And the best way to change it is often from
within. The volunteer organizations I've been involved with typically
have too much that needs doing and too few people to do it. Those who
are willing to put their effort where their mouth is, usually end
with a say in things.

* Join another organization that better suits your desires, and/or
work to change that group.

* Start your own organization and carry out your own agenda.

Actions speak far louder than words and talk is cheap.