[Sigia-l] The Menace to IA -- lazy sniping and infighting

christina wodtke cwodtke at eleganthack.com
Wed Nov 13 22:59:45 EST 2002

warning long and excessively idealistic. so sue me.

> Karl's suggestion that he's surprised by the negative reaction seems
> perfectly polite and expected to me. The comments above are mine and I
have
> nothing to do with the organization other than the fact that I joined to
> support the cause. Heck, I'm not even an IA.

Karl is Leadership Council, though not Board. His comments were startled,
not rude. One thing that has made me consistently proud to be part of this
fledgling organization is there is no mouthpiece-- everyone stands up for
what we collectively believe in: IA's place at the table. From our founding
members Thomas and  Andrew on Metafilter to new member Challis here, we are
making a stand for Information Architecture and we are many voices, not a
few. We are fighting because we believe in IA's ability to help order the
chaotic digital world.

I am Board and I'd like to say: feel free to join us. 30 bucks is not much
money, and we want very much to invite all to join and help build an
infrastructure that will mature IA. If 30 bucks seems like a lot of cash,
please write me and explain your situation, and I'll share with the board
and see what provisions we can make for folks in similar straights. We do
not yet have a student, unemployed or international rate-- you can help us
shape those. I worked to bring unemployed rates to the Carbon IQ seminars,
and to the Annual Summit... I don't want to limit access to anyone who wants
to help build our chosen profession.

Join us. If we are a clique, you are in that clique. If we are a club, you
are in that club. If you think IA can help make digital spaces better, than
please, lend a hand. But it is easier to criticize than build, and I'd like
you to take the harder path. Maybe you have something else to build--
Design, IT, CMS's and so on. But you are on this list because you think IA
can help, and if you don't become part of AIfIA in a formal way, please
consider joining us by spreading the word-- IA can help. You can be part of
Asilomar's mission simply by continuing to educate folks on the value of IA,
and by continuing to refine, to question, to advance this craft. Stay on
this very fine list and stay with ASIS&T (become a member and support them
and their fine work!). Advance IA.

Asilomar is a Spanish name that means "refuge" and "sea." We Information
Architects (all of us, no matter what the title, no matter the affiliation)
are building a refuge from the data sea.

RSW said it best:

     "There is a tsunami of data that is crashing onto the beaches of the
civilized world. This is a tidal wave of unrelated, growing data formed in
bits and bytes, coming in an unorganized, uncontrolled, incoherent cacophony
of foam. None of it is easily related, none of it comes with any
organization methodology.

     Now for the good news: There is a dune on the beach. There is a
breakwater in the ocean that is clearly emerging in these last fleeting
moments of the 20th century. The breakwater is indeed breaking up the
tsunami of data and focusing it in a more organized way to answer our
questions and concerns. There is a new breed of graphic designers,
exhibition designers, illustrators and photographers, whose passion it is to
make the complex clear.

     I call this new breed of talented thinkers Information Architects and
this book was created to help celebrate and understand the importance of
their work - a work which inspires hope that as we expand our capabilities
to inform and communicate that we will value, with equal enthusiasm, the
design of understanding." -- Richard Saul Wurman, from Information
Architects

Are you talented thinkers gonna step up, or are you going to stand by the
sidelines and snipe? Are you going to refine and promote IA, inside or
outside of AIfIA, or is it easier to undermine the folks who do want to step
up to the challenge?

I'm a bit starry eyed, compared to some more pragmatic members, but I
started AIfIA because IA is important, and collaborative efforts are more
powerful than individual.

I believe in the importance of excellent IA because I believe that
classification has consequences.

     "Each categorizer brings his or her life knowledge and prejudices to
the process. The Dewey decimal system's Religion category has nine
subsections, seven of which are on Christianity. The rest of the world's
religions are lumped into one subsection: Other. Language has nine
subsections; seven of them cover European languages. Looking at the Dewey
decimal system will tell you in which part of the world John Dewey grew up.

     On an investment site, a special section for women can be interpreted
to mean the institution thinks women are not good with money. Or that
section can be welcomed as helping equalize a male-driven domain. You aren't
just organizing; you are sending a message."

Our design choices have repercussions. Which means we have to stop fooling
around, making stuff up and generally talking out of our collective
rear-endskis and instead stand tall to take responsibility for our part in
shaping the way people perceive the world. We have to work thoughtfully and
well. We have to work together. I think AIfIA can help.

Some folks are joiners, some are builders, some are cheerleaders and some
are impediments. Some folks take potshots in hopes of making a name-- those
folks may make a name they have to change later.

Real concrete criticism is always welcome, as it will make us better. But in
the end, a year will pass and we'll have to show you we've actually done
something for the craft. I hope we can. I think we can. We sure as hell
better.

Do you want in? 'Cause you are invited. And if you don't, god bless and see
ya at the summit, dude. First drink's on me.

Christina "Prez" Wodtke
www.aifia.org