[Sigia-l] The Menace

Ken Bryson kbryson at aw.sgi.com
Wed Nov 13 16:58:02 EST 2002

the 'booksellers' and 'bureaucracy-creators' conspiracy theory
notwithstanding, it does seem peculiar that the same set of individuals who
brought us boxes and arrows, acia, info-arch.org, etc, now seem to think we
need some umbrella organization with a particulary californian name (and
crappy acronym, not to mention type-treatment) meant to speak for IA
practitioners everywhere???

do they all live on the same block in Asilomar, CA or something?

I realise there's more to IA than the particular "information science" slant
that affiliation with asis&t would engender, but what's the real use of
creating a new "institute" that as far as I can tell is more of a club than
an "institute".  also, if we'd just take the time to support one of the
afformentioned attempts at instituting a IA community, perhaps we wouldn't
waste our time re-inventing the communal wheel.

-kb