[Sigia-l] taxonomy tools

Anita Johnson arjohnso at students.uiuc.edu
Tue May 28 17:43:47 EDT 2002

Hi there -

Those of you working on thesaurus development/content management
terminology/classification schemas may find the Controlled Vocabularies
Resources site out of Queensland University to be helpful:
http://www2.fit.qut.edu.au/InfoSys/middle/cont_voc.html  Also, check the
'other compilations' links at the bottom of the page.

The book (previously mentioned) Thesaurus Construction and Use: A Practical
Manual has an excellent collection of weblinks for further reading. If you
want to see the nitty gritty of thesaurus development you may want to take a
look at the industry standard: NISO's Z39.14 (Rev.1998) Guidelines for the
Construction, Format, and Management of Monolingual Thesauri at:
http://www.niso.org/standards/resources/Z39-19.pdf

For the more theoretically minded, and if you really really want to know about
many of the significant issues regarding the organization of information in
print and online, and from a 'systems approach' see: Elaine Svenonius' The
Intellectual Foundation of Information Organization (2000) from MIT Press,
ISBN 0262194333   I remember paying around $45 for it.

Anita Johnson
MS Candidate, Library & Information Science
http://www.lis.uiuc.edu