[Sigia-l] drop down menus

christina wodtke cwodtek at eleganthack.com
Thu May 23 12:48:58 EDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
Subject: Re: [Sigia-l] drop down menus

> The audience learns the language of a particular media over time.  In
> cinema, artistic genius expanded the common language and as a result the
> art.  Would the use of usability studies in the instance of drop down
menus
> hinder the development of the internet by stifling creativity?  Must we
> limit the audience to their current understanding and expectation of the
> media?

Here's my short list of what's wrong with this paragraph. This is all my
opinion, of course, and disagreement is not only expected but welcomed.

1. The websites the study looked at are not art. They are tools. Go look at
the cover of "The Design of Everyday Things".
<
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/books/0385267746/reader
/1/002-9440129-7008049#reader-link >
That teapot is art. It is not for making tea. It is very important to
determine when you are making art and when you are making tools when you
design, so you know which way to go when you are forced into a choice in GUI
objects.

2. The problem of dropdowns, flyouts etc is not only cognitive, it's
ergonomic. more here if you are so inclined.
http://www.eleganthack.com/archives/002644.html#002644

3. Usability studies should NEVER hinder creativity. Instead, by learning
more about humans, we should be able to become more and more creative,
coming up with better and better designs AND art. As a BFA, I bridle at the
ignorant artist stereotype. The savage looked in the garret with only his
art that was given to him at birth making great work that will only be
understood after he passes. ptsui. When I watch usability studies (as
opposed to running them-- then you have to keep your eye on the ball) I'm so
bursting with creative ideas that come from observing behavior I'm writing
as fast as the notetaker. Now pronouncements from gurus have a different
effect.... but let's not mix the two up.

Here's what's right with the paragraph (again, IMO)
" The audience learns the language of a particular media over time... Must
we limit the audience to their current understanding and expectation of the
media?" This is a very good question and should be asked multiple times
during design (preferably resulting in both yeses and nos). Users current
understanding of the media is a lot less fixed than some researchers would
have us believe.  It's important when we go to design we determine what
users know, what their cognitive model is and where we can stretch, shape
and guide. We also have to be aware of where it will bite us on the butt.
Blindly following prematurely designated conventions turns off the brain of
the designer, which is the only guaranteed tool we can depend on if we want
usable and beautiful sites.