[Sigia-l] International sites

Ziya Oz ZiyaOz at earthlink.net
Sun May 19 03:51:46 EDT 2002

"Leonard Will" wrote:

> My point was that giving users a choice between "US" and "international"
> versions was ambiguous because it was not clear whether this was based
> on language, e.g. ((US|UK|OZ|other)-English) vs. non-English, or some
> other criterion such as licensing for distribution within and outside
> the USA.

I agree with that. I go through the same problem when I have to upgrade a
particular French app I use. If I use their French FTP site (instead of
their U.S. subsidiary) it's either French or International. So if you happen
to be in, say, Montreal or some other French-speaking location outside of
France, what should you do? It isn't clear at all if you can get an
'international' version that happens to be in French, or if you are
French-speaking whether you're obligated to get the French version or not,
as there'd be some technical localization issues when paired incorrectly.

> You have to specify the question clearly before you can provide a
> sensible set of possible answers.

And my *narrow* point was that even if you did clarify the question, we'd
still have the same *labeling* problem. If you find the "non-" or "other"
juxtaposition to the whatever the local designation is (as I do), then there
isn't a particularly appropriate word to mean "not this category but the
rest".

Best,