[Sigia-l] Article - Management of Innovation

Andres Sulleiro andres at iconmedialab.com
Fri May 17 14:17:06 EDT 2002

Interesting article on the (un)predictability of innovation success.
Very applicable to the web industry as well as to IA/HCI/UE/etc... I
think.

"The Rules of Innovation" By Clayton M. Christensen.
Excerpt: "The management of innovation today is where the Quality
Movement was 20 years ago, in that many believe the outcomes of
innovation efforts are unpredictable. The raison d'être of the venture
capital industry is belief in the unpredictability of new businesses. A
few ventures will succeed; most won't, the VCs say. They therefore place
a portfolio of bets, extracting premium prices for their capital in
order to earn the high return required to compensate for the risk that
unpredictability imposes. I believe, however, that innovation isn't
random. Every undesired outcome has a cause. Those outcomes appear to be
random when we don't understand all the factors that affect successful
innovation. If we could understand and manage these variables,
innovation wouldn't be nearly as risky as it appears."
http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/christensen0602.asp

Andrés Sulleiro - Information Architect/HCI
IconMedialab www.iconmedialab.com
700 Goddard Ave * Chesterfield, MO 63005 * USA
Tel. +1 636 530 7776  Fax. +1 636 530 4644