[Sigia-l] multiple search index usability/conceptual model

Jeff Lash jeff at jefflash.com
Wed May 15 23:11:28 EDT 2002

> How do we get people to understand the differences between the multitude of
> searches offered on a library site (which includes a catalog search,
> half-a-dozen licensed databases, and a tool to help newbies search the web).

You could have a default search "sphere," and on the results page, have
something like "Didn't find what you were looking for? Try your search for
[search term] in [database name]!" The [database name] could be a pulldown,
or could be repeated for each resource.

Obviously you could test it to see if people notice it or not. I'd imagine
that having it above the results would work well, or perhaps having a link
after each result (similar to the way that Google provides "Cached" and
"Similar Pages" links after results) that would allow the user to run a
query on that result on another resource.

Ideally you could search all of the databases/catalogs at one time, and have
all the results displayed on one page; at Amazon when you search for Bill
Cosby, for example, there are results for music, books, video, DVD, zShops,
and auctions. (I'd imagine if there were Bill Cosby themed cosmetics or a
Cosby video game, that'd appear as well.) However, if this is not possible
for technological reasons, I think providing feedback on the search page
would be a good solution.

Good luck!

.jeff.
--