[Sigia-l] taxonomy for the field of American Studies/digital object types

Leslie Johnston johnston at virginia.edu
Wed May 15 15:56:57 EDT 2002

All,

Is anyone aware of any work going on with taxonomy development for the
field of American Studies?  We're developing our American Studies
Information Community (part portal to lists of resources at UVa and
elsewhere, part directory of people, part discussion fora) and we're
looking for models for the classification and organization of our
resources.  Part of the access will be person based (such as a dynamically
generated pathfinder for Edgar Allen Poe leading to images, TEI files
[fiction, letters, critical material], EAD finding aids, and web sites),
but we would like the higher-level organization to be more thematic, and
we're looking for suggestions for a reasonably simple taxonomy.  We need to
categorize our digital object types, too.

There is an simple breakdown on a site at Rutgers that's very appealing:

http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/rr_gateway/research_guides/history/texts_by_subject.shtml

But we're wondering if more formal work has taken place anywhere.

Thanks in advance,
Leslie

Leslie Johnston
Director, Digital Services Integration