[Sigia-l] IA and medium

George Olsen george at interactionbydesign.com
Tue May 14 02:07:03 EDT 2002

At 7:00 PM -0700 5/13/02, Jesse James Garrett wrote:
>  > That's again why we need to distinguish between the _principles_ of IA
>>  (however you want to define them) and job descriptions.
>
>Surely you're referring to the distinction between the discipline and the
>role? ;)

Actually, close but not quite.

I'm not sure there's real agreement over the discipline of IA --
otherwise we wouldn't be having these constant discussions about how
wide/narrow.

I think there's much more consensus around IA principles, how to
organize elements on a page. (OK, that actually involves a collection
of principles, but you get my point.)

But also we need to remember that just 'cuz we use these principles
doesn't automatically make them _IA-exclusive_ principles. For
example,  you called examples of visual hierarchy "the IA of everyday
things." I call 'em principles taught in Graphic Design 101.

George Olsen                           george at interactionbydesign.com
User Experience Architect                                     310-993-0467
                      http://www.interactionbydesign.com