[Sigia-l] aother one of them quickie questions

Lord, Ralph rsl3 at cdc.gov
Mon May 13 15:59:01 EDT 2002

A friend who works on a web-app for, get this, 911 and EMS dispatchers, was
presented with two drop-downs which his developers wanted feedback on. The
question: "Does this drop down with over 7000 (seven thousand) elements or
this one with over 3000 (three thousand) have too many elements?"

The team's first answer to "too many elements" was to just "categorize" them
into flyouts for easier finding.

Simply amazing:

911: 911, what's the nature of your emergency?
caller: my, oh my god, oh, oh, oh
911: sir, take a deep breath and tell me the nature of your problem.
caller: ok, ok, ok. I just cut my foot off with chain saw.
911: Ok,hmmm, "nature of emergency" dropdown, uh, uh, extremity injury, er,
hand, arm, head, leg, there it is "foot".
caller: HEY! I'm getting woozy here. Send an ambulance!!
911: sir, I'm entering the data about your accident into the system. Ok,
"foot", burn, no, broken, no, crushed, no, oh here it is, "severed".

And so on.