[Sigia-l] IA and medium

Ben Henick persist1 at io.com
Mon May 13 13:28:32 EDT 2002

On Mon, 13 May 2002, Christina Wodtke wrote:

> As I said, it is applicable to other mediums, but is it in it's most
> realized form in the web/internet? The classification systems you mention

Absolutely not.  *grin*  Hypertext as a medium was roundly immature until
fifteen years ago.  Who's to say what the form and function of our
information systems fifteen years from now, will be?  Surely the
progression will be visible to anyone who has "been around" but in fact
there is plenty of evolution and maturation yet to take place.

> were neatly seen to by librarians. Is an IA only a librarian with a fancy
> title? What makes an IA not a librarian?

David Heller provided an answer - with his use of the word 'interactive'
- for this that is strikingly close to my own, so I'll just strip the
jargon (which was my original plan anyway).

Where a librarian classifies and organizes a discrete collection of
information, he has no influence over the information itself... meanwhile
an outcome of the IA process may well be the creation or removal of
information for the benefit of a system (with 'system' in this instance
understood to be an intranet or external Web site).

In real terms, this can be seen as demanding that an IA have greater
knowledge in depth when compared to her librarian counterpart, for
example.

A tangential point that strikes me is that while a librarian is quite
likely to interact with real flesh-and-blood "end users" the same is less
true for a Web-centric information architect... in the latter case, most
of the interaction occurs at one stage early in the process.

I will leave the professional implications of this "split" to be examined
by the full-time IA/LIS folks.

--
Ben Henick
Web Author At-Large              Managing Editor
persist1 at io.com                  bmh at digital-web.com
--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering, Pinky?"
"I think so, Brain, but... (snort) no, no, it's too stupid."