[Sigia-l] IA and medium

Paula Thornton paula.thornton at prodigy.net
Mon May 13 13:54:50 EDT 2002

Interesting. I raised this same issue previously and those in agreement (the
'definitely not's') had disagreed with me previously. What changed?

Until we can 'raise' above the channel will we truly be able to gain the
executive credibility, recognition and funding (with leadership from our own
ranks) that the industry needs (not that we need).

This isn't just us trying to 'push' our wares...this is a true industry
need...answers to solve existing problems that to this point are wont for
answers. Robert said, "The Web is still the primary medium", but why aren't
we involved in the redesign of the 'phone menu' from hell systems that
companies rely on as their first point of contact for the phone? What about
the logical flow of dialog that might occur between a caller and the call
center rep (getting to answers more quickly for the caller? Every point of
interaction is a potential point of business for us (thus the need for
strategic visioning through touchpoint analysis, etc.)

We're talking about a discipline of talents that are 'reusable'. One of the
largest 'failings' of businesses today is in the optimal use of resources.
By standing for a position that suggests that IA skills are specific to one
channel/medium puts those individuals squarely in line with views that
compromise potential.

This is not a reflection on individual talents. Clearly the Web has specific
needs for specialization. We're not talking about individuals; we're talking
about a discipline. As with the legal and medical professions, there are
whole ranges of specialization...ours can and should be the same.

Paula Thornton