[Sigia-l] IA Missions

Anne Hjortshoj anne at optical.mindstorm.com
Fri May 10 11:35:49 EDT 2002

Hi Thomas,

I worked at a Web consulting firm until very recently (I am now
contracting for a software company). While I was there, I was frequently
asked to do estimation for the IA portion of proposals.

Here's what I would do:

1 - Steps one through three as you listed them
2 - I would think about how I would do the IA for this particular project:
deliverables required, process, what the final product would be, etc.
3 - I would contribute a list of deliverables and estimated times per
deliverable to a project plan (which would cover the overall project).
4 - I would pull together examples of the deliverables that I would use
for this project from a bank of faked-up deliverables. We used to use
screenshots of the deliverables with descriptive text.
5 - The final proposal would contain the IA deliverables in a project
plan, an explanation of our IA process fine-tuned to address the major
points of the project, and a list of IA deliverables to be used for the
project with descriptions for each ones (including what the deliverable
would specifically accomplish for the potential client).

We found that this approach avoided "giving away" IA work for free in our
proposals.

-Anne