[Sigia-l] The Age of Findability (or, Repackaging Wayfinding)

Tim Salam ia at timsalam.com
Mon May 6 13:25:01 EDT 2002

Two quick comments...

1. Findability is a word I've heard bandied about more than not in web
development (in the context of explaining part of experience design to
clients).  I myself started whipping that one around about 3 years ago,
until...

2. I came upon wayfinding (already mentioned here), and dropped the
findability word from common client-facing use since I am not interested in
calling old things new names (it only makes things more confusing and
typically slows down conversations with peers).

3. I should note that due to my inability to separate IA and usability from
each other, I really can't see either discipline appropriating the
application of wayfinding as a concept into the web context (which is
frankly no different than it's roots in architecture).

Bottom line - wayfinding is a weight to bear by anyone involved in
experience design  (ie. the five or more disciplines we've discussed
before).

Tim Salam
Vice President
Essemble IT Solutions