[Sigia-l] The fuzzy line btwn IA and Design

Ziya Oz ZiyaOz at earthlink.net
Fri May 3 05:40:27 EDT 2002

"Christina Wodtke" wrote:

> Dan Brown and I have been discussing for some time creating flowchart-type
> screen specs. All elements and their heirachy are noted in a visual
> language...

For whose benefit?

Designers? Programmers? Content creators? The guy who signs the check? They
would all exhibit various degrees of tolerance for flowcharts. Structural
designers wouldn't look kindly on an IA blocking their page geometry or
visual flow. Programmers and mark-up people would probably like more detail
than you'd end up providing and they already have stuff like UML or DOM.
Writers would just want to write and the guy with the check book probably
has more compelling things to do than learning a new visual language.

> but not in one that dictates layout.

If you're not addressing the *spatial* aspects then what's wrong with an
outline? Especially one that can auto-generate a chart if/when needed?

Best,