[Sigia-l] Elements of Documentation

Donna Marie Fritzsche donnamarie at oneimage.com
Sun Jun 30 21:22:11 EDT 2002

Personaly,  I would continue with the creation of site maps and at
least one round of wireframes because the artifacts mentioned serve
as a form of communication by which collaboration is facilitated and
ultimate agreement is established.  Additionally, the process of
creating the artifacts facilitates the IA's processing of information
and leads to refinements that might not take place if one went
straight from a set of ideas to code.  The functional prototype can
also facilitate the above in its own unique manner - in addition to
offering a new degree of usability testing, but I do not think it
should wholly replace them.

The working prototype does not give me the same information as the
site map does for instance.
The working prototype does not invite group interaction and
collaboration in the same way that a wireframe does.

This was the topic of one of the Chicago IA Learning Hours and we saw
some excellent examples of both paper and functional prototypes - the
session illuminated the benefits of each.

Donna