[Sigia-l] Form Usability - Search & Cancel location

Steph sigiasteph at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 25 11:05:41 EDT 2002

I'm having a bit of a debate with one of our
programmers and was hoping for some help from the
Sigia community. We are developing an online
multi-step form and a question has come up about the
placement of certain "action" buttons - namely the
Submit and Cancel buttons. (note: Cancel is a required
option for this application because of the multiple
step nature of the form.) We've managed to agree on
the fact that these two options should NOT be located
right next to each other as this increases the
potential for users to mistakenly click the wrong
button. The debate that's come up is in regards to
which side (right or left) each of these options
should be located. I've argued that the Submit button
should be placed on the right hand side and the Cancel
button on the far left. In my experience, users tend
to read from left to right and this is the most
natural placement of such an option.

I was wondering if anyone out there has had any
experience with this issue or any thoughts on which
option is more "usable".