[Sigia-l] IA standards

Karyn Young karyn at shredbetty.org
Wed Jun 19 18:10:29 EDT 2002

Greetings all,
Does anyone know of any information architecture standards documentation? I
asked a co-worker of mine who is one of those wonderful x-Argus people
(Keith Instone) and he wasn't aware of any samples.

Here's some context: I've got examples of visual design standards that cover
things like: the use of a universal masthead design across a site; how the
left nav should be coded; the requirement for a standard page footer, etc.
But we're grasping for the next step.

Anybody know of anything? My target audience for this documentation is the
hundreds of site editors across our site.

So far we've got a table of contents:

Product taxonomy (how our products are structured because this relates to
the site content)
Site architecture (the relationships between pages)
        - High level navigation (how it works)
        - Low level navigation
Nomenclature (standard labels and page titles)
        - Includes taxonomy/category labels
Page architecture (page layout issues and standard content elements)
Cross-site navigation (aka portal to portal)
        - Commerce navigation
        - International navigation
        - Support navigation (aka tech support)

Thanks in advance,