[Sigia-l] guidelines, resources, thoughts on tree and menu design

Markus Mayer m.mayer at generali.at
Tue Jun 18 12:33:31 EDT 2002

Hi,

In one of my projects (internal browser based applications) I 've come
along the need to provide guidelines for designing pull-down menus
(web-interface). I am aware of guidelines regarding the design of
conventional menus (using the standard windows ones for example) what I do
lack however are guidelines on how to actually implement the menu widget:
- latency of the menu
- point-and-click vs. just point
- how to handle cascades
- use visual cues to indicate menu entry currently selected
- etc....

A second question arose around the design of a web-based tree widget.
Imagine a situation where you use a tree to visualise a relatively complex
product configuration e.g. for an insurance quotation system. An insurance
product is composed of many components, sub-products, options, etc. Our
design team choose the approach to visualise such a product  in a tree
with all the different characteristics of an insurance product distributed
over the nodes and branches of such a tree. If you want to select a
component or an option you simply click on the check-box displaying its
name in the tree. The problem that arose with this approach is that
sometimes it is necessary to add additional product components (not known
at the beginning) to the tree (say I want to have two cars on one
insurance policy). Sometimes it is also necessary to perform actions
directly on objects within the tree (which is hard to do without
right-click menus). For instance if I navigate to
customer/category/sub-category/claims and would like to file a new claim.

Has anybody  come across similar issues before?

Thanks a lot,

Markus

p.s.: is cross-posting allowed and if not what is the preferred way of
distributing a question to two lists?