[Sigia-l] Category label and context

Michael Angeles michael at studioid.com
Sat Jun 8 15:43:26 EDT 2002

> Sooooo...does anyone know of existing thought on this
> issue? I would guess the LIS field would have
> addressed this already. Thanks.

Victor:

When doing controlled vocabularies, parenthetical qualifiers are often used
to disambiguate homographic terms such as your term Macintosh, so that
these two terms can exist without creating confusion for indexers.

    Macintosh (coat)
    Macintosh (apple)
    Macintosh (computer operating system)

This is a funny example, because I'm not sure in what kind of vocabulary all
occurrences of the terms below might co-exist. I'd be interested in hearing
how the term might be used out of context, such that it would create
confusion in the user. Perhaps in an alpha listing of some sort?

Incidentally, there is more on this topic in the ANSI/NISO z39.19 guidelines
under the 3.2.1 Parenthetical Qualifiers rubric.

-Michael

P.S. I've been off the list for the past couple of months, but am happy to
be back. Thanks for the pointer to that Tamler article, by the way.

    Michael Angeles  ::  studioid.com  ::  iaslash.org