[Sigia-l] multidoctype publishing: from Visio and Word: sugg estions?

Listera listera at rcn.com
Tue Jul 30 20:21:47 EDT 2002

"Duich McKay" wrote:

> The nuances of of typesetting are just not important where documents are
> passed around a limited distribution very quickly. Structuring documents
> that can be distributed quickly is.

Well, you don't really have to mess with any typesetting prefs/controls if
you don't want to. The default settings in Quark or inDesign are already
much better than Word. You also don't need to play 'designer' in these apps
if you don't want to. Use them to collate, number and index disparate
docs/formats and finally output to various media.

> The canvas metaphor of page make-up programs can be
> a distraction.

You can use these apps almost exactly like a word processor, if you wanted
to.

To get back on topic, the original poster wasn't happy with embedding
graphics in Word, if I recall correctly. What I'm saying is, page layout
apps handle that exceptionally well, in comparison.

Best,