[Sigia-l] Usability of launching new browser window?

Terry Brainerd Chadwick tbchad at tbchad.com
Sat Jul 27 14:15:56 EDT 2002

Morry wrote:
 >>>Not necessarily so in our experience. We actually saw uses who expected
the window to open in a new browser and were frustrated so we moved to
accomodate the prevailing opinion by users. Granted we didn't always see
this but sometimes we do. It all depends on the users.  We also found that
many users had no clue about the option click, right mose click etc. on the
mouse.>>>

Whether or not to open a new window depends a lot on your expected audience
and the type of organization you are designing the site for.  Along with
the issue of expectation is the issue of accessibility.

1.  Expected audience:  If a portion of your expected audience is visually
impaired--either blind or requires magnification of a screen-- or
cognitively impaired, launching a new window when clicking on a link
without informing the user can be confusing.  They may not know the window
is new and thus may be disoriented when they can't return to the previous
page by using the back button.

2.  In the United States, and many other countries, governmental
organizations and companies doing business with those organizations must
follow website accessibility regulations.    The Web Content Accessibility
Guidelines say:
	"10.1 Until user agents allow users to turn off spawned windows, do not
cause pop-ups or other windows to appear and do not change the current
window without informing the user."

If some of your users fall into these categories, or your organization is
required to develop accessible pages, then you either need to inform users
before launching a new window or not launch a new window.

Terry
Terry Brainerd Chadwick, InfoQuest! Information Services
mailto:tbchad at tbchad.com         http://www.tbchad.com
Strategic Research, Competitive Intelligence & Content Development
Website Optimization for Accessibility, Content, Search & Usability