[Sigia-l] [tech: HTML] query into a DHTML layer

David Heller hippiefunk at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 24 20:47:41 EDT 2002

Ok, so this is a DHTML question:
Environment IE 5.5+ & Netscape 6.2. Ideally any solution should also
work in a Mozilla 1.0 world too (Netscape 7.0).

User Interface Scenario:
I want to setup a layer to become visible, and when that later becomes
visible, at that point it is built off of a query statement from the
server. However, I do not want the screen to go blank when the query is
being made. I only want the layer to be effected by the query request,
not the rest of the page.

When DHTML was first introduced both browser companies showed that this
could be done. I'm assuming at the time they were using proprietary
stuff, but I'm also assuming by now you can have a <div></div> be drawn
based on a query and that query be initiated by an event from the
server, I know in the <layer> tag you could say the layer had its own
src attribute, but does a <div> have a similar capability?

Examples of sites using this as well as example code would be
appreciated (if possible).

My engineers are giving me a hard time w/ this functionality.

Thanx!

-- dave

David Heller
Sr. UI Designer
Documentum: The Leader in Enterprise Content Management
http://www.documentum.com/

T: 925-600-5636
E: david.heller at documentum.com
AIM: bolinhanyc // Yahoo: dave_ux // MSN: hippiefunk at hotmail.com

"If it is not useful, it will never be usable." --