[Sigia-l] Chronological filing as a type of classification system

David R. Austen dausten at hoosier.net
Wed Jul 24 17:21:04 EDT 2002

Hello, Vivian, and all:

(I've taken the liberty of creating a "cousin thread" so I can use the
library example but then also veer off your original tack somewhat.
With impunity, I hope. Join me please!)

Let's accept and embrace the reality of chronological classification;
it fits what people often do on their own. Saving Web bookmarks all in
the same folder is one good example. It's quick and it is a foolproof
system.

(But of little utility, normally. Do any Web browsers or similar tools
allow users to search using a string in the Web page title?)

This is analogous to stacking papers on a table in my office all day
long.

This is also analogous to saving all new files to the Windows folder
called "My Documents."

Another analogy is the New Books table in Borders, or your library.

I'm thinking of a more formal model for the organization of
information by time (creation/change date) for people who are in a
great hurry. There is no reason to encourage this behaviour by
clients, but realistically, this might be the only system some people
use--or the system they would use if it were a formal first stage of a
fine system of storage and retrieval. Is there a tool you know of that
does this really well? A system that one of you uses already?

If so, it could often be the first tool (system) people would use for
documents. We'd use it the way we use those trays and baskets of paper
in my office labelled "To be Filed."

Thoughts? Comments? Ideas? Warnings?

Best regards,

David Austen