[Sigia-l] Why 'design' makes some of us cringe.

javier velasco lists at mantruc.com
Wed Jul 24 16:39:24 EDT 2002

Hi all:

Only today i've been able to read this thread that kept me curious for some
weeks, and I real it all-at-once.
I love the wide array of experiences and knowledge that converge in this
group.
Now, some comments about the issue itself:

Having studied Grahpic Design, I was taught that Art is a form of personal
expression, and Design follows a particular purpose (as George said), Graphic
Design is subdued to Communication.

I like the idea of placing Art-Design as a continuum. :)

So, to add my two (late) cents to the conversation, two Chilean artists of
major scale:

I don't agree that all art seeks for pleasure: Guillermo Nuñez is an artist
who has spent his life working on the subject of violence. Sadly, there isn't
much material of his online, the best example i could find is a painting that
is no longer available online, but it's still in google's cache (first paiting
on this query, a man being punished by his torturers)
http://images.google.com/images?num=20&hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&newwindow=1&safe=off&q=guillermo+nu%F1ez&sa=N&tab=wi

I understand that he is trying to induce us into reflection on the subject of
violence.

And those of you who like Duchamp and Warhol: meet Parra!

Nicanor Parra is best known for his poetry, he invented Anti-poetry, but his
later work has been concentrated on "Visual Artifacts"
http://www.telefonica.es/fat/eparra.html

Some nice examples are:
http://www.telefonica.es/fat/parra/imagparra/parra06.jpg (message in a bottle)

http://www.telefonica.es/fat/parra/imagparra/parra09.jpg (edison's insect)