[Sigia-l] [spam] Retraction re: "IA" value postingImadeearlier

karl fast karl.fast at pobox.com
Fri Jul 19 17:09:53 EDT 2002

>> Would I hear a surgeon say he or she were designing my surgery I
>> would do my best to get as far away as possible.
>
> Then I suggest that you try to sit in on a meeting among surgeons
> and support personnel when they gather to discuss, choreograph and
> design complex surgery: a) as a patient, you'll appreciate that
> they did and b) realize that it was pure design.

A good example.  Using the general definition a surgeon would
"design" in this sense, thought I think it's more accurate to say
they designed the surgical procedure instead of saying they designed
the surgery.

It does seem a bit weird to think of this as design. We don't think
of highly specialized fields as engaging in 'design' because they
have their own specialized language to describe what they do. As
some have argued, engineers don't design; they engineer.

But by the general definition of design as an activity (as opposed
to Design--note the capitilzation--as a specific body of practice)
then the examples above are clearly design.

   http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=design

--karl