[Sigia-l] Retraction re: "IA" value posting I made earlier

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Thu Jul 18 19:28:54 EDT 2002

At 04:31 AM 7/19/2002, derek wrote:

>"...systems of durable, transposable dispositions, structured structures
>predisposed to function as structuring structures, that is as principles
>of the generation and structuring of practices and representations which
>can be objectively 'regulated' and 'regular' without in any way being
>the product of obedience rules, objectively adapted to their goals
>without presupposing a conscious aiming at ends or an express mastery of
>the operations necessary to attain them and, being all this,
>collectively orchestrated without being the product of the orchestrating
>action of a conductor."
>
>(Source: http://staff.bath.ac.uk/hssjam/povertyofagency.pdf , page 5)

Wow! Someone needs an editor. Is that badly-written or what? 83 words
without a break in sight. I started reading the quoted bit, but my mind
lost track after the first three lines. Did the author expect regular human
beings to read and comprehend his writing?

OK, now what did all that mean - in plain English?

Regards,

Madhu

Madhu Menon
User Experience Consultant