[Sigia-l] DHTML Menus and HTML Widgets

Boersma, Peter peter.boersma at satama.com
Wed Jul 17 04:15:36 EDT 2002

"Ben Henick" wrote:
> >> JavaScript is (essentially) programming, while HTML is markup.
> >
> > ...And I disagree in turn.

Upon which Ziya asked:
> Based on what?

I don't know what Ben's basis is, but mine is concepting, designing and
building interactive web sites and applications for the last 7 years.

Robert Dornbush's original comment was:
> ...be very wary of an HTML developer / web designer who does not know how
> write his/her own custom Java scripts.

The role of HTML developer / web designer in my company was that of
translator of the graphical and UI design into HTML templates, allowing
programmers to make the interactive (usually database driven) parts work.

It is IMO an expertise of its own, calling for:
- deep, deep knowledge of the HTML specs and associated technologies (css,
ECMA-script, but also search engines, etc.)
- an eye for visual/information design ("if I code this template in this
way, there may be whitespace on bigger screens, but the general layout stays
the same")
- scripting capabilities ("this mouse-over script needs some tweaking so
that it fits my purposes")
- insight in the work of programmers, making sure that the code they
produce, gets as little in the way of markup as possible ("the computational
results will be shown in this table cell, of which I can alter the visual
style in a seperate CSS document").

And yes, as you can see there is no IA involved ;-) Hopefully she has done
her work before the graphical and UI design is made.

Peter
--
Peter Boersma, Consultant Information Ergonomics
<mailto:peter.boersma at satama.com>

Satama Interactive
Poeldijkstraat 4, 1059 VM Amsterdam, The Netherlands
tel:+31(0)20 6637769  fax:+31(0)20 6681468  mob:+31(0)6 15072747
http://www.peterboersma.com/