[Sigia-l] dealing with Knowledge Management

Terry Brainerd Chadwick tbchad at tbchad.com
Sat Jul 13 00:25:53 EDT 2002

At 02:14 PM 7/12/2002 -0500, Lucie Melahn wrote:
>Sorry to sound so mysterious. Our current client is the USDA
>(specifically, APHIS, the arm that deals with agricultural diseases and
>biosecurity issues). Not the FBI. ;)

Have you tried using Agricola <http://www.nal.usda.gov/ag98/> for keyword
determination.  Agricola is the USDA Library's database and has been around
for decades.  It has a very well-known and standardized system for
classifying agricultural documents.  There are 605 documents that came up
when I searched on APHIS.

The librarians at the National Agricultural
Library  <http://www.nal.usda.gov/> can probably give you a lot of
information about quickly setting up a metadata system for your collection,
no matter what database program you need to use.

NAL has recently released a Metadata Template which you may find of use.
"NAL Metadata Template
The National Agricultural Library is pleased to announce the availability
of the NAL Metadata Element Set (www.nal.usda.gov/cataloging/TEMPLATE2.pdf)
The NAL Metadata Element Set is the official standard for the creation of
metadata for all digital objects created by NAL, including both original
documents and digitized versions of publications formerly available only
in print. Based on the Dublin Core, the NAL Metadata Element Set contains
both descriptive elements and administrative elements. When embedded in a
digital object, the descriptive elements (title, author, creator,
publisher, date, summary, etc.) help locate a  resource when these access
points are used in searches. The administrative elements provide
information on the stability of the contents of a digital object as well as
on the object's availability.  Incorporation of metadata elements into
digital objects will facilitate the retrieval of the objects by search
engines and Web crawlers. "

Also, check out the Agricola Subject Category Scope Notes
<http://www.agnic.org/cc/scope_notes.html> that are the codes used by
National Agricultural Library indexers and catalogers to categorize
bibliographic records in the AGRICOLA database.

Terry

Terry Brainerd Chadwick, InfoQuest! Information Services
mailto:tbchad at tbchad.com         http://www.tbchad.com
Strategic Research, Competitive Intelligence & Content Development
Website Optimization for Accessibility, Content, Search & Usability