[Sigia-l] A mental model

PeterV peter at poorbuthappy.com
Wed Jul 10 13:36:54 EDT 2002

Hi all,
I've been working on the mental model for a tool I'd like to write one of
these days, and since you all are part of the target audience I'd like to
solicit some feedback. Just read the following section and comment on
whether it makes sense to you: do the concepts ("metadata maps", "network
around a map", "publish a map", ...) make sense? Are certain things not
clear? I'm trying to find out if I should change the concepts (or their
labels) in any way. The explanation assumes you know what metadata is, a
pretty safe assumption here I think :) I presented the mental model as an
explanation of a tool because I want to test if the concepts  and labels
used for them are clear and easily grasped. If not, I'll change the
concepts until I get something that works.
-------
Metadata Manager.
The Metadata Manager lets you create and manage metadata maps (we just call
them maps) for your website. These maps can then power a website: they can
create automatic navigation like "More about this topic" or "Related
articles on other websites". To show navigation like that on your website,
just include a file that is generated by the Metadata Manager.

You create maps by building hierarchies of topics and assigning topics to
pages. There's more to it than that but those are the basics: topics in
hierarchies are assigned to pages.

You can publish your map on your website so other people can look at it,
much like you can publish RSS files for example.

The real power of MetadataManager lies in this: you can create a network of
other maps around your map by creating links between individual topics on
your map and topics on published maps of other people. The network around
the map means that when other people add metadata to their maps, your map
can automatically be updated with this new content. Creating a network
around your map is very powerful: it lets you leverage the work of
assigning metadata other authors have done. Assigning metadata can be a
drag, that's why this is important.

When creating a map, you can import bits of maps you or other people made
(because they are published), so you don't have to reinvent the
metadatawheel everytime. Easy. Then you can adjust those bits to your own
taste.
---------
Thanks,
PeterV